Monday, October 1, 2012

The 411

The original title for this blog was “Single Girl with a Boyfriend”. It would feature my experience having a boyfriend and living on my own after living 2 years with him. It would have been the chapter we skipped; needless to say, there’s nothing to blog about that. So now, Single Girl W/Out a Boyfriend is about the life of a single girl in a city far away from home and family... minus the boyfriend!
 
The Break/Up

 I don’t think that you are ever ready for a break up, even when the relationship is going nowhere you hold on to the idea that it has to work. Why wouldn’t it? In my case I felt like I had to make it work, having left my family and my comfort zone to pursue this relationship made it almost mandatory. Don’t get me wrong, it was a good decision and because of it I’ve learned so much and experienced so many things making me the person that I’m today. Cut to reality… We were simply wrong for each other. The same thing that made this relationship unique and fun also made it challenging and at times miserable. I think that the “opposites attract” doesn’t apply to every couple.

 We were having our troubles and finally I decided to move out to see if taking a step back would help us moving forward. Our last month living together was awkward, playing “house” while getting furniture for my apartment was a joke. The day came when I moved out. I felt excited yet terrified, I had my own place before moving to Boston for him so I really needed my own space yet somehow this felt wrong, I felt detached from him and our life together. The more people cheered me on I knew deep down they thought this was not going to work. We were a week in this new stage and at first it felt like I was just travelling and was going to come home next week. I didn't see him any more than when we lived together, our problems still tangible, it was time for the "talk".

Cut to us breaking up after a week of me moving out. Hearing him say he felt like he wanted to be alone just made me picture how willing he was to help me move out. I felt sad and relieved, it seemed like a weird combination but I felt like my life was starting from that moment on. This was a person that I loved and wanted to marry and have kids with. I had already planned the next 50 years of my life and all of the sudden I was left with me, myself and I. It was the biggest favor he could have done for me, the opportunity to feel free and find my happiness...one that I didn't have to beg for. You will see the transition from that breaking point in my life and the adventures that follow!

4 comments: